golden retriever young dog in green grass outdoorAfter a long, wet and very cold winter we are thrilled that Spring has arrived. But Spring also brings about some hazards and one in particular is the presence of snail (and slug) bait in the garden. Be careful if you happen to visit the neighbour’s garden or a friend’s garden as you might not realise it’s there.

Part of the problem is that snail bait pellets look just like dog kibble, so dogs often eat the pellets by mistake. Unfortunately even the so called “pet friendly” products are dangerous if ingested. 

There are three types of snail bait:

  1. Metaldehyde – green pellets
  2. Methiocarb – blue pellets
  3. Iron EDTA (Multiguard) – brown/yellow pellets

The most dangerous are Metaldehyde and Methiocarb. They act on the nervous system causing increased stimulation and can be fatal if immediate veterinary treatment is not given.

Multiguard is less toxic but can cause gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhoea, or may cause damage to the liver, spleen, heart, kidneys or brain. If this is ingested, we still recommend treatment.

Signs of snail bait poisoning: 

  • Muscle tremors and restlessness
  • Excessive drooling
  • Rapid heart rate & panting
  • Vomiting & diarrhoea
  • Seizures

If your pet has ingested (or even if you just think your pet might have ingested) snail bait, please don’t hesitate to call us for advice immediately.